Friday, July 15, 2011

Prayer #1

Otter's Song

 i used to be polite and
thank god with restraint 
for all that he provides for me-


that etiquette i imposed upon myself
to keep from waking those nearby 
calling their sharp attention to me. 


now i see it was my fear of disturbing them
by admitting my utter reliance on god
for fear that they would scoff and reject me 
like my father in his own fear did.


i used to pray quietly
hiding my wonder and adoration like a secret from myself


no longer do i choose
to govern my gratitude
writing prayers in some personal  private journal


let it be know 
near and far..


i love my god
with all his heart,
this beat is borrowed 
from his pulse,
he and i are one
still playing hide and seek from one another
time and time again

            amen
71511

1 comment: