Wednesday, June 3, 2015

WHAT IS "PROFITABLE BUSYNESS?"

It occurred to me recently that in elementary school although my academic scores were good, my report cards always showed two checks under discipline: Conforms to school regulations and Keeps profitably busy. It got me to thinking (everything does..), exactly what is "Profitably Busy?"


KEEPING PROFITABLY BUSY

I have been dropped into this world
Like a stone in a pool of water,
Now I am a random ripple 
Rolling into and over other random ripples
In this thing we call life.

 I feel the pull to do something meaningful,
Something that makes the whole world
just a little brighter and warmer
and safer…

In elementary school I always got two disciplinary checks on my report cards:
conforms to school regulations
& keeps profitably busy,

ironic.
It seems that keeping profitably busy 
is what we do or don’t do.
Who decides what is profitable,
What is worth doing?

When our separate ripples collide,
Is it profitable for both of us,
Or one of us,
Or none?

What do you think is Profitable Busyness?

No comments:

Post a Comment